Proposal: Continued Support for You Will Not Survive

You Will Not Survive 2024

TLDR

Dethsoft would like the Conclave’s continued support while we head into early access for You Will Not Survive, by giving us more time to polish and test over the next 6-7 months.

We as a team believe that we have shown our dedication and commitment with daily and weekly posts/updates about the game, quarterly testing of new and expanded features, and detailed and transparent finances.

2023 Retrospective

2023vs2024_1-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter (1)

What started as a Vampire Survivor clone has grown into an in-depth Action Roguelite that will stand on its own legs within the Indie Gaming scene.

• Weapons & Items showcasing mainline lore
  • Map UI that utilizes the art to its fullest
  • NPCs & Enemies based on existing characters
  • Character Classes of story-based Pilgrims
  • Addictive Game and System Mechanics that keep players coming back for one more run
  • Steam Page Launch

Our team feels this is just the beginning, we see You Will Not Survive packed with dozens upon dozens of NPCs, items, weapons, and enemies that can tell a story to many that few know now.

Our Vision for 2024

This year we plan to release You Will Not Survive into Early Access on Steam after participating in the June or October 2024 Steamfest.

Currently, we are working on completing our initial vision of the game which includes:

• Revamping our weapon/attack system
  • In-game currency/system (DEATH)
  • Ultimate Weapon System Completion (Charging via bullet absorption + DEATH collection)
  • 4 New NPCs
  • 5 New Weapons
  • 10 New Items
  • 10 New Enemies + Bosses
  • New Dungeon, The Church of Her
  • Unlock Tree
  • A Plethora of QoL Updates + Additions

We plan to do 1-2 more playtests with the community before pushing to a broader audience to ensure a quality and well-designed game.

2024 Budget Breakdown

• Lead Dev Salary - 2k/month (Rama)
  • Game Designer/Director Salary - 2k/month (b33f)
  • Concept Artist/Book Artist & Designer - 300/month (brenon64)
  • In-game Sprite Art - 300/month (rex)
  • Total: 15k USD

These funds will allow us the time of 4-6 months to get YWNS into a sellable state to generate revenue.

Proposed Transactions

We are asking the Conclave for $15,000 in total to help us reach our goal of Early Access.

Multisig

We will be using the same multisig that was initially created for our first proposal:

You can check all our budgeting here: YWNS Income & Expenses - Google Sheets (edited)

Updated Deliverables

Dethsoft will hold 1-2 more open playtests on itch.io before going live with our Steam demo this late Spring.

We will use that demo to participate in either the June or October Steamfest and then release You Will Not Survive into Early Access afterward featuring all demo content + The Church of Her Dungeon and unlockables.

Following our Early Access release we will continue updating and completing the game on Steam until version 1.0 is ready.

Version 1.0 will feature:

• 6 Total Dungeons
  • The Abyss (True Roguelite Mode)
  • 30+ Weapons
  • 50+ Items
  • 15 NPCs
  • 50+ Enemies & Bosses

devilman_spiritbomb

Revenue Model

The revenue model will stay mostly the same, we will sell the game on Steam/Epic and itch.io initially for an MSRP of $12.99 USD for the base game, and we will have DLC packs for $2-3 USD for future updates.

Porting to the Nintendo Switch would be our first priority if we see the demand and financial return.

The initial distribution of the game will be controlled by Rama and b33f, unless we can strike a deal with a game publisher.

The team’s LLC will handle all revenue generated by the game unless further publishing or licensing deals are struck in the long term.

Dethsoft will pay back the Conclave 30% of all profits on the You Will Not Survive base game after marketplace cuts & taxes until the $75000 is paid back in full. After that time % payback will drop to 15% in perpetuity.

Archangel_fly

CC0 Ethos

After our 1.0 release, we intend to release all art assets we have personally created for the game as CC0 assets to be used however anyone would like.

CONCLUSION

In the short timespan of 1 year the Dethsoft team has built out a more robust gaming experience then most/any project in the space that has brought in millions to do what we’ve done with 60k.

You Will Not Survive is a product that can be worn and shown proudly by the community, and it is, it is truly something that excites and interests those on the outside.

Our Success is the conclaves and everyone’s success, more funds now will allow us the time to polish and create a game that is worthy of widespread reception and recognition.

Thank you for your time!

-Dethsoft

5 Likes

:heart_hands::metal::skull::metal:
Love all of you.
This has been some of the most fun building I’ve ever had, and I’m excited to help bring across the finish line.

3 Likes

You guys are absolute chads.
Fuuuund eeeeeeeeeeeeet.

3 Likes

ok but how do we even know that Rollinorama is still alive

5 Likes

@Rollinorama pls respond, you’re allowed to go on this website today :unamused:

3 Likes

HAhahahahahahaha hey I’m here, always have been!

No need to worries!

Best regards,
b33f

4 Likes

LETS DO THIS!!! PUT IT UP NOW!!! please

1 Like

I believe in Dethsoft.
I believe in YWNS.
I have played this game every day for months.

In my opinion, this proposal is not the healthiest for its game development.

I will encourage the devs to approach a shorter timeline to Steam Early Access.
2-3 months to tighten what is available now, and make a build.

It’s so important to find an audience of active playtesters at this stage.
You have grown beyond this community’s capacity to provide you meaningful feedback.

6 months in isolation will not help.
The project has bloated too far from its design if it’s a necessity.
It will also not bring a guarantee of a successful Early Access.

My heartfelt advice, is push a tighter window.
Trial by fire for a season, and close out that working build.
It’s good enough as it is to showcase — It’s been very playable for months.

You need less time than you think to impress people.

1 Like

I also align with a shorter window for early access. There was a lot of development past the early proposal - and I think a little trial by fire is the right course based on current play. Extended timeline and funds will be a much harder sell for me.

1 Like

You have a clear and well-founded point, for sure. However, having said that, I prefer to cancel our proposal.

I’ve been working on this game for over a year, and I don’t feel confident releasing it in Early Access. Mainly we would have a game that is not yet in the way we would like, and, minor issue but anyway, because then we would miss our chance to launch it at some Steamfest (it is the window with the most visibility for indies nowadays).

I feel that if 1% of the conclave does not agree with this model, there is no point in asking for funds, unfortunately we are dealing with the expectations of an entire community here.

I prefer to polish the game a little more with my own funds, with the feeling I have that the game will be much better in 6/8 months, than perhaps throwing 1 year and 3 months of work in the trash. Could the game fail down the road? Yes, but I will have a clear conscience that we tried to do the best we can.

Another thing, I talked to b33f about maybe starting a model for Wagdie’s book, which Brenon and b33f are working on, Brenon is getting paid through YWNS funds, but I think they should be paid better! But no pressure at all (he and Brenon doesn’t know that I’m exposing this here, but as a long-time member of the community I think what they’re doing is really really cool)

Thanks my dudes!

The funds are not the strongest issue on my evaluation.
As stated on Weekly, we can accept that this isn’t profitable and still do it.

But, I think it’s a mistake to go so much longer.
Whether we fund it or you fund it, it’s a lot more risk, even just for your time.

To spend another 8 months, and not know data from a wider playerbase is scary.
To spend another 8 months, and not have a greater sense of its market appeal is scary.

My advocacy for getting a playtest build on Steam in 2 months and cultivate community doesn’t prevent you from achieving the goals you set out above.

You can enter Steamfest after playtests have begun.
You can cultivate an audience before that time comes.
You can run risk-free updates to that audience, as you do us.
You can improve the game with their greater feedback.

I think they will even make it easier.

You don’t have to sell it yet.
They can all play on designated free playtest periods.

But that exposure / data will help you so much before Steamfest.

The current plan is to have the demo on to Steam after the next Itch.io playtest and bugs from the current adds are ironed out.

We cannot launch into Early Access and sell the game until we participate in the Steamfest or lose that opportunity. Which will be in June or October depending on how smoothly development continues.

The game in its current state is not a complete experience or loop, we the development team want it to be before launching into Early Access.

The funds we are requesting are to support the current development track of:

• Playtest on Itch.io in early Spring
  • Demo on Steam in May
  • Steamfest in June/October
  • Early Access Launch 1-2 months after those Steamfests

The funds are required to keep team members and outside artists working towards those deadlines and motivated at our current pace.

Otherwise we will lose artists time/availablility, and coding sprints will be extended to allow for more time and ease of development.

Playable on Steam in May :white_check_mark:

Take my vote.

Much better than “Steam demo this Summer/Fall.”

Don’t be deterred by a small minority (1%) from posting or maintaining your proposal for voting.

It’s normal to encounter discussion and disagreement during voting processes. Ultimately, the majority’s decision will prevail, which is the point of using snapshot voting.

I strongly believe the conclave’s funds should primarily bolster community initiatives. So much so, that neither The Two nor I have ever drawn from these funds for our expenses or time.

I’m thoroughly impressed by our community’s achievements in recent years and YWNS stands out as possibly the most significant project the conclave has backed.

My core message is: We should trust our contributors. If they think they require more time, they deserve it. Long-standing community members working with us have our trust and support until proven otherwise.

While feedback and discussions are welcome, after points are exchanged, we should pivot back to supporting our community.

3 Likes

The proposal should definitely be brought to a vote! Express what you feel is necessary to execute and fund the game. The community is very much supportive. My primary concern is the timing - a Fall release seems late, considering the development. A wider audience may alter development plans, or prompt need for additional funding.

Give the devs the money. This should have been on Snapshot 2+ weeks ago and you’re restarting the discussion, hello?

1 Like