WIP 7: World of WAGDIE

World of WAGDIE

Abstract - Two or three sentences that summarizes the proposal.

World of WAGDIE is an interactive Google Maps style web app, that lets users explore the World of WAGDIE. This will include all basic map functionality you would normally expect using our current in-game map, map markers driven by Wiki content(locations/burns/deaths), and a Timelapse Mode showing our progress through the Main Storyline.

As most in the community know, World of WAGDIE is already live in production with some base functionality already implemented.

Motivation - A statement on why the WAGDIE Community should implement the proposal

Onboarding to WAGDIE is quite the task, and I believe a Map experience provides the right amount of visual introduction for new people interested in WAGDIE.

Additionally, the Timelapse Mode will provide a digestible and visual learning experience for those attempting to catch up on the events of WAGDIE’s main storyline

Rationale - An explanation of how the proposal aligns with the WAGDIE Community’s mission and guiding values.

World of WAGDIE aligns with the Community’s mission for a few reasons:

• It helps new people visualize our world

• It helps new people catch up on the events of the main storyline

• It helps combine community Wiki efforts, with Main Storyline map pieces

• It’s featured on fateofwagdie.com, which indicates adoption by the people behind the project

Specifications - A detailed breakdown of the platforms and technologies that will be used.

World of WAGDIE is a web based application written in Javascript, specifically ReactJS.

World of WAGDIE will be powered by the following technologies:

• React Leaflet for rendering the Map, and basic map functionality

• NextJS a React framework for production applications

• wagdie.wiki will be our “back end”, serving the relevant data to power all features

Repo:

Steps to Implement - The steps to implement the proposal, including associated costs, labor, and other resources for each step where applicable.

The currently planned feature set is as follows:

1. Basic map functionality you would normally expect using our current in-game map (Complete)

2. Map Markers driven by Wiki content(locations/burns/deaths) (In Progress)

3. A Map Legend driven by Wiki content (Complete)

4. A Map Marker Filter allowing for toggling Map Markers on and off (In Progress)

5. A Timeline Slider widget that shows our journey thus far, with ability to Rewind and Fast Forward by dragging a slider (Not Started)

Timeline Slider

This feature will include a Material UI Discrete Slider populated with values that represent the Chapters from the Wiki.

When the user selects a value on the slider the following will happen simultaneously:

• The You Are Here Map Marker will update to the location corresponding to the selected chapter
  • The Map will pan to that specific location
  • The Map Legend will update with Wiki Content from the selected chapter

Development:

I will be the sole developer on this project.

Design:

I would like to leverage community members to provide Design Assets for the The World of WAGDIE. Currently, the following assets provided by @Rollinorama are being used:

icon_location icon_youarehereicon_burn icon_death icon_fight

As development matures, and/or feedback is received, it is likely we will need new/updated assets. Funds should be allocated for this.

Bugs/Issues:

Community members can log and track issues via Github Issues which will be addressed during development. Any high priority/crucial bugs must be addressed before final deliverables/payment.

Timeline - Relevant timing details, including but not limited to start date, milestones, and completion dates.

World of WAGDIE Work began on 6/26/2022 and to date:

• 2/5 features are Complete

• 2/5 features are In Progress

• 1/5 features are Not Started

Development work for World of WAGDIE is arranged around my full time job commitments. But within the span of approximately 1 month I’ve managed considerable progress.

I expect to be able to continue at this pace, which would put me at an estimate of around 4-8 weeks for total completion of all proposed features.

I expect to be complete with every proposed feature other than the Timelapse feature very soon, and then develop the Timelapse feature for the remaining time.

Overall Cost - The total cost to implement the proposal (in ETH).

Overall Cost: 11K USDC
  • Design Cost for any updates @Rollinorama may need to make : 1k USDC

• Distributed via a Multi-Sig on an as needed basis
  • Final Payment after all planned features are live: 10k USDC

• This is calculated by applying a discount to my hourly rate at ~120 hours of work
Payment plan
  • 1k on hold for @Rollinorama
  • 5k after:
    • Proposal passes
  • 5k after:
    • All features are live
    • All significant bugs/issues are resolved

All funds will be sent to a Multi-Sig controlled by myself and 2 Conclave Reps(brennen.eth and dontfeedthewolf.eth)

Wallet Addresses:
  • Multi-Sig Wallet: 0x4A3eD43DfC8a116882D95dcabF1EBAbD712fbA0B
  • Prince Ham Doe Wallet: 0xDc0f9e358F8EEF58beA41b1Cad8FD23F84D15713

Future Considerations

With the inclusion of World of WAGDIE on fateofwagdie.com, the door is open for additional features to discuss. These will be handled in a parallel workstream outside th scope of this proposal.

Inspirations

6 Likes

The map is one of the best places for anyone to get a sense of the scope and world of wagdie. Putting more energy and effort into getting the world developed and it all being connected and fed directly from the wiki is the right move to make.

The timeline mode should allow for new players to see what happened over time and hopefully get them caught up.

5 Likes

Retroactive payment for work would probably become a proposal of its own if this doesn’t pass.

This is the dream feature and one I’ve always been most excited by. There’s a lot of exciting things that can come from this map being fully developed and finalized – I am all for it.

For clarity I would specify if the overall cost is $13K USD, then break down that $3K would be retroactive payment for deliverables thus far and the remaining $10K would come after all planned features are live.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see some working with the team as well. Don’t want things spoiled for all of us if they have ideas or plans, but definitely should be a door opened to you discussing and working with them… maybe even have some communication with them prior to finalizing this Proposal

4 Likes

I’m a big supporter of this and very much appreciate all the hard work you’ve already put into this project! I have some nitpicky stuff I’ll share, but please know you have my vote on this regardless.

• The UX of clicking a map marker could be improved a little IMO. When I click a map marker, I get a tag with the location’s name that brings me to the wiki. However, you put in some great foundational work to make this a seamless experience by adding the info to the bottom left corner. I’m afraid it’s getting missed (personal experience talking) - I think it should be highlighted more by 1) a better visual indicator the info’s there, or 2) the tag itself with the locations name could be more like a modal w/ the info there instead of bottom left.

• The mobile experience is missing the info box, so you have to go to the wiki. Obviously, there’s tons of design challenges with mobile but I would encourage a seamless experience there as well.

• I’m not a huge fan of how the current map markers look, but obviously this one is extremely subjective (Did I mention I’m nitpicking? While we’re on it, I can scroll forever in any direction)

• Last but not least, I’m hoping you can share some more details on the timeline slider – like as much as you can? Perhaps even some rough visuals? As Wolf mentioned above, this is definitely the dream feature and I think the most important for helping to onboard (main motivation). Are we going to get to see a directional path drawn out on the map in timelapse mode, or is it going to jump from location to location? More info on how timeline mode/the slider interacts with the map itself would be great.

Anyway, keep up the great work! Your work has helped the Twins navigate these lands with ease. Appreciate all that you do!

4 Likes

@TheTwins great feedback! I will update the proposal to include a link to the Github Issues section. That way the community can submit bugs like the ones you have in your post here and they can be addressed during future development.

As for the bugs themselves:

The UX of clicking a map marker could be improved a little IMO. When I click a map marker, I get a tag with the location’s name that brings me to the wiki. However, you put in some great foundational work to make this a seamless experience by adding the info to the bottom left corner. I’m afraid it’s getting missed (personal experience talking) - I think it should be highlighted more by 1) a better visual indicator the info’s there, or 2) the tag itself with the locations name could be more like a modal w/ the info there instead of bottom left.

This was actually part of my original Proof of Concept, and can now probably be removed. I’m in favor of removing the Popup, and instead providing a link to the Wiki at the bottom of the populated legend in the form of something like Read More

The mobile experience is missing the info box, so you have to go to the wiki. Obviously, there’s tons of design challenges with mobile but I would encourage a seamless experience there as well.

Understood. I will be making sure the Mobile experience is cleaned up.

I’m not a huge fan of how the current map markers look, but obviously this one is extremely subjective (Did I mention I’m nitpicking? While we’re on it, I can scroll forever in any direction)

This is a good point of discussion. The assets were currently provided by @Rollinorama . It’s worth noting that I am not a designer by trade, so I cannot create assets for this map. I think we should continue to leverage community members to create those assets, @Rollinorama if he is interested, and I can work some additional payment into the proposal to account for that.

Last but not least, I’m hoping you can share some more details on the timeline slider – like as much as you can? Perhaps even some rough visuals? As Wolf mentioned above, this is definitely the dream feature and I think the most important for helping to onboard (main motivation). Are we going to get to see a directional path drawn out on the map in timelapse mode, or is it going to jump from location to location? More info on how timeline mode/the slider interacts with the map itself would be great.

Will do, let me see if I can get some ideas together on this.

2 Likes

We have enough talented artists in this community to provide a unique experience with the markers and upgrade them. @Rollinorama has done a lot of neat little stuff, and you’ve already worked with them

• I’m definitely in favor of this being accounted for and priced in
2 Likes

Latest updates have been made based on comments.

I am hesitant to use Conclave funds for retroactive work. If so, we are always paying backwards for things done (as proof of concept) than forward (as new developments.

Nobody else has sought such for their works so far and this would set a precedent that could make every proposal thereafter much more expensive.

I would easily champion getting WAGDIE to distribute some Crystals as I think it’s a deep oversight you haven’t got some already, but I don’t think that’s what Conclave funds are for.

Apart from that, I’m a huge fan of the map system and am excited to see more development on it, though grow curious for your plan to tackle the web3 elements given whatever Location Staking is, might be around the corner.

Do you have any knowledge of this?
What ideas do you have there?
Is it part of the plan?

2 Likes

I am hesitant to use Conclave funds for retroactive work. If so, we are always paying backwards for things done (as proof of concept) than forward (as new developments.

Nobody else has sought such for their works so far and this would set a precedent that could make every proposal thereafter much more expensive.

I would easily champion getting WAGDIE to distribute some Crystals as I think it’s a deep oversight you haven’t got some already, but I don’t think that’s what Conclave funds are for.

Understood. Interested to hear what others think about this.

Apart from that, I’m a huge fan of the map system and am excited to see more development on it, though grow curious for your plan to tackle the web3 elements given whatever Location Staking is, might be around the corner.

Do you have any knowledge of this?
What ideas do you have there?
Is it part of the plan?

Upon reconsideration, I think that anything planned by the WAGDIE Devs(i.e. Location Staking) should not be funded by Conclave’s funds and thus should not be included in this proposal. IMO, Funding from the Conclave should encompass only work that is community driven, instead of WAGDIE Dev initiatives.

With that being said, I’m still interested in incorporating the web3 elements into The World of WAGDIE, albeit separate from this proposal. I have not pursued it any further at this time and do not have any new info around this.

1 Like

I thought part of the Podcast proposal included retroactive payment for work that was already done and imagine some of the other funded proposals included pricing for work done.

Maybe the way this was worded and that the $3k upfront is for backpay/work already done makes it sound bigger than anything else thus far.

Regardless the backpay/retroactive pay for work already done is something that has been coming up and to mind, but also those who been doing heavy work have created Proposals that are getting funded so it kind of seemed to be sorting itself out there… Still there are others who contributed work without pay.

I believe that wagdie tokens and tokens of concord are great ways to reward those who are contributing & should be considered more for retro-active/backpay, which I agree should probably be a whole separate conversation/thing.

Seeing as how this conversation does cause topic of debate, maybe @PrinceHamDoe should consider rewording the price structure and delivery of payment around the total cost of building out this system & what he’d like to receive upfront versus the other timeline for the other payments without making it around “back pay for work already done.”

I think we can agree here. Curious to hear others weigh in.

Regardless, we know this map is a vital part of things and something we all really want. We also want to make sure it’s built out right, UX is friendly on both mobile and PC and is able to deliver what we hope. This Proposal should be focused on those things, as for how the map is then used and tied into anything with devs those conversations could happen with the creator.

3 Likes

I understand what King is saying about precedent, but it’s semantics. Just up the overall asking price and leave the language about retroactive payment out. Or put the overall asking price to vote, eg 8k 10k 14k.

Agreed – this is outside of the scope of this proposal (and perhaps the greater Conclave) but still an exciting concept for the future.

2 Likes

Overall this is a GREAT proposal and a GREAT piece of work already. So thank you for your contributions.

A few quick thoughts personally:

I don’t like the precedent of retroactive payments. Generally I think proposals should always be about work to come vs work already done. This obviously isn’t you, Ham Doe, but it opens up in the future, people doing work independently that they should be doing for the good of the project, but then coming back with a big bill as part of a proposal. Something to consider for the group.

Everything else looks great. I think a little more detail around the costs associated with the future state too would be helpful… Also I think plan it as if you’re doing it separate from work done by the Devs, but obviously there will be some synergy / connection that the collective here can help facilitate.

Great stuff guys!

4 Likes

Ok let me work something like this into the proposal.

Yep totally understood. The Conclave Reps meet today, I think they should plan to discuss this topic of “retroactive payments” and decide how to proceed going forward.

Will do

Yes. This is my intention.

2 Likes

I totally see why there’s a concern about the retroactive payments within the funding proposals and I agree.
But just to be clear, my intention initially with “Retrospective reward for Prince Ham Doe (hamdoe.eth) for work on wagdie.world map” was a community-driven reward/donation to recognize a great contribution to the project. I think it still could be a thing (of course if it’s initiated not by the beneficiary and there’s no conflict of interest of any sorts).

1 Like

After Conclave Rep deliberation it looks like Retroactive Funding will be removed from the proposal. I will make the remaining Final edits tonight.

2 Likes

Proposal is now live for voting on Snapshot

1 Like

Proposal Passed with $11k Funding.

$1K on Hold for @Rollinorama
$5K to be distributed ASAP

Final $5K after all features lives, bugs and significant issues resolved. Snapshot

1 Like